Tuesday, October 30, 2007

cabaret

As in Cabaret, "money makes the world go round," but coincidently it can make it stop too. I’m surely not from a very well off family, especially by SMU standards. But we have done all right for ourselves and I’ve still been afforded great privileges, including a private high school education. I have to be very conscious about money all the time. It’s pretty much always on my mind. I think often about people’s personal spending. I wonder if people think about how they could help aid others by spending less on personal luxuries and contributing more to charity and different donations. Many students at SMU are very comfortable financially to spend a few hundred dollars on a purse to carry their books in, or sunglasses, or even just on rainboots. Of course I can understand that its nice to have nice things (credit the movie Blow), but I feel like if we all could just do without one of these luxuries and contribute to the Red Cross to aid those who can’t afford or don’t have access to healthy food and water, or even to a fund for abused children if you think those people should fend for themselves, whatever your politics, there is someone you can find to help.
And we all avoid the tables like the plague outside Hughes Trigg that are raising money for various causes. But what are you going to really miss out on by donating a dollar? A dollar truly is so minute in your scale (I presume), but can be such a large contribution in the long run towards a project, perhaps for Darfur. So much needs to be done across the globe and within our own country. I was personally very impressed with McKenzie’s hard work in pulling together such a large and effective fundraiser for Darfur. Truly impressive what one person can do.

1 comment:

Thesam said...

Woman- "Oh we dont care about money around here."
Man- "Thats because you have it."