Sunday, November 4, 2007

prostitution


I'm not really sure what prompted my thoughts on this, but I was having a self debate about how the government can justify ruling that prostitution is illegal. Of course I am not promoting it, but I don't promote watching Flavor of Love with Flava Flav either. It is your choice to chose what and how to live your life as long as it does not directly interfere with the safety and wellbeing of others, as well as their right to chose. Prostitution, sex for money, pleasure for money. Why should that be illegal? We pay comedians to make us laugh. We pay for massages. We pay for therapy. We pay for cotton candy. Why should it be illegal to make money off of offering sex? Of course I understand the moral reasons behind making prostitution illegal, as well as how it is generally unsafe for the participants. But, adult people can make adult choices. If we pay to watch sex via video, or for nudity at strip clubs and for lap dances... how much different is prostitution really?

2 comments:

Eric said...

I agree with you for the most part and, hopefully with your approval, am hijacking the photo for my own take on the prostitution issue. Check it out and tell me I'm wrong!

BTW, you're a good writer and I'm enjoying reading your posts.

Jordan said...

I also like this post. I happened to have found it when I was searching for information on an essay I'm writing about prostitution.