Friday, November 23, 2007

15 and about to give birth

I just spent my Thanksgiving break out in Lubbock with my brother. His girlfriend's family joined us, including her niece. Her niece was 2 days away from labor, and oh my word pregnant.

I was in complete awe over everything surrounding her pregnancy. I was impressed at her strength to carry the child to term and then put it up for adoption. My god, if I were pregnant at 15 I wouldn't know what to do. I barely knew much about myself, let alone know enough about the world to raise a child. And the strain it puts on her body! At 15 a woman's body is still developing, and to create a child at the same time, my word. Even if I were to be in a strong long term relationship at this point of my life, being 20 years old, I don't know what I would do if I became pregnant. There is no possible way I could raise and care for a child. And everyone has opinions on abortion, but to be in that situation in real life, I'm sure its a new realm. And it would be so tragic to hand over your child to someone else. The whole thing just screamed "use every kind of protection" as if it were a flashing billboards surrounded by clowns on stilts yelling the same message through a microphone.

In a related topic, there was such an uproar when Texas made the new HPV vaccine, Gardasil required for all young women starting at the age 15 (I believe that was the age). Families were offended viewed it was an encouragement for their daughters to be sexually active. I suppose they were teaching abstinence due to fear to their daughters as well.... very healthy and effective. But what could it harm? And the vaccine will be just as effective protecting against cancerous forms of HPV when the person is 30 as it is when its completed at 15. And at the very least, the shot is the first approved anything that prevents cancer! What an advancement for science, and for our health!

No comments: