Sunday, November 25, 2007

craigslist

A tragic event has just happened. A woman was just murdered after responding and communicating about a job listing on Craigslist. She went to interview and the man brutally murdered her. That is a scary wake up and continual reminder about internet safety. Craiglist is a tool I use very frequently to find items I need. For my apartment this year I acquired my dining room table, my desk, my dresser and a coat rack from craigslist. And on top of the things I actually purchased, I inquired about countless items. I don't find that craigslist holds any responsibility for this event. They post warnings about online transactions and communication all over their site. It is sad that this happened. I wouldn't normally think it necessary to bring a person along with me when meeting for a job interview. Of course when picking up items from strangers you would always want to bring someone with you, it seems a given. But with a perspective future employer, you would not presume you would need someone to watch out for you. It is just tragic.

Another topic about craigslist: You can find whatever you are looking for... be it a free pile of bricks, a house to rent, a garage sale to browse, and apparently even find people for sexual encounters. Now this I was not expecting in the personals of Craigslist. They have listings for every combination of men and women seeking each other. Curious to see what people write on these postings, one day I clicked on a personal ad for men seeking women. Somehow I missed the indication on that post link that indicated it included a picture. OH MY WORD. I was not expecting that, there was a picture of a man's "region" largely displayed on the page. Who knew that craigslist is a forum for these kind of connections. I am personally a little disturbed, but I see now that they also have a section strictly for platonic connections. I did not risk browsing any further, but I presume that those postings are more censored. So be careful next time on craigslist, you never know what might be posted.

No comments: