Sunday, December 2, 2007

A loss


A year ago today I lost my friend Jake Stiles. It is truly hard to believe it has been a whole year. A small gathering of his close friends was held earlier today at the flag pole. It was wonderful to see so many people attend. We brought flowers and laid them down next to his picture. I wrote a letter to Jake and left it under the flowers. It is hard to comprehend still that Jake is no longer here. Last year I spoke at his service. It was very hard because I was not very familiar with Jake's friends, and from speaking I sat next to President Turner and his SAE brothers. It was hard to allow myself to grieve fully in that situation. But in the last year I have met so many great people who also share in the loss of Jake. It's wonderful how you can meet people like that just out of the blue. Its amazing how far a person's reach spreads.
The most memorable quote I took away about Jake that people shared was, "He never met a stranger." What a wonderful thing, and how fitting. That is something to aspire to be said about all of us.

No comments: