Sunday, December 2, 2007

celebration of lights


Celebration of lights was a very wonderful start to the Holiday Season ahead. As I was headed to Hughes Trigg for cookies and hot chocolate afterwards, I passed a large group of students yelling excitedly for Kwanzaa. And it brought to my attention how Christmas oriented the Celebration was. I am in a debate with my self going over why and why not Celebration of Lights should encompass more than just Christmas. Obviously we are founded with Methodist beliefs, thats a big one for. But we are so big on attempting to be diverse and all, why not acknowledge other celebrations? If Celebration of lights were to encompass other Holidays, I feel like I wouldn't mind, but I would question why. Why include it in this Celebration for Christmas? They have every right to celebrate any Holiday they wish and arrange it together.

A few years ago I got into a debate about the greeting, "Happy Holidays." Why can't I say, "Merry Christmas", my father asked. It quite surprisingly turned into quite the heated debate about this being AMERICA and CHRISTIAN! And I have the feeling that most Christian students that attend here have the same notion regarding SMU and Christmas.

No comments: